Investigations and Crisis Management
Kaplan Hecker & Fink has extensive experience in all aspects of the investigations and crisis management process, including: conducting internal investigations; developing internal and external communications strategies; advising on public disclosures; reviewing compliance structures to identify areas of risk; and revamping policies, procedures, practices, and cultures.
Kaplan Hecker advises clients on their most sensitive, high-profile investigations, from matters on the front pages to those that remain confidential. In every matter, we deploy a team custom designed and sized for the tasks at hand and adjust our approach as each investigation progresses. In 2023, Chambers ranked Kaplan Hecker as one of New York’s top specialist firms in White-Collar Crime and Government Investigations, as well as highly regarded in Corporate Crime & Investigations. Chambers further recognized partners Sean Hecker and Jenna Dabbs as top lawyers in Government Investigations, among other practice areas, with Sean in particular ranked in Band 1 as a leader in this area. In 2019, Global Investigations Review nominated Kaplan Hecker as a finalist for “Boutique or Regional Investigations Practice of the Year.”
Representative investigations and crisis management matters include:
- Conducting a comprehensive and thorough external review of gender equity issues in connection with the NCAA, focusing on NCAA championships.
- Representing a multinational consumer products company in an internal investigation regarding allegations of procurement and expense abuse fraud.
- Advising a large media company on development and implementation of human resource policies to help ensure a fair and unbiased workplace.
- Conducting multiple internal investigations for an Ivy League University and providing advice in connection with public and high-profile Title VII and Title IX issues.
- Chairing Vice Media’s Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, which works with the company’s executives and decision makers to improve company policies and procedures, as well as make recommendations on workplace changes.
- Conducting multiple internal investigations for a large non-profit organization concerning complaints of sexual harassment and harassment on the basis of race.
Prior to launching Kaplan Hecker, some of our lawyers’ representative investigations and crisis management matters included:
- Representing a multinational financial institution in connection with a criminal investigation into corruption in international soccer broadcasting.
- Representing a large financial institution in an internal investigation relating to its large shareholder reporting in Japan.
- Representing audit committee of Fortune 100 company in internal investigation of potential insider trading issue.
- Representing the board of a global accounting firm in internal investigation of sensitive misconduct and potential conflict of interest issues.
- Conducting a cross-border internal investigation for a multi-national corporate client of allegations of bribery and corrupt activity in Europe and Africa.